Why is antimicrobial stewardship so important?
The incorrect use of antimicrobial medicines contributes to the growth of resistant microbes.1体育投注正规网址 Active antimicrobial stewardship ensures patients receive the correct anti-infective (antibiotics, antifungals or antivirals), for the right duration and only if needed according to independent and evidence-based guidelines. Stewardship is the foundation for efforts to help curb the spread of antimicrobial resistance and we are proud to be an industry leader in stewardship and surveillance programs.
What are WE doing to help?
Pfizer is actively engaged and committed to a multi-faceted approach to stewardship that ensures anti-infectives are used according to guidelines. These efforts can be divided into four areas:
- Dissemination of information, including activities to ensure physicians understand the label indications for our anti-infectives products.
- Innovative surveillance tools, such as the Antimicrobial Testing Leadership And Surveillance (ATLAS) database; one of the largest AMR surveillance programs in the world.
- Support of local studies, education and stewardship initiatives via independent, unrestricted grants, offered to outside researchers and institutions to support research, education and implementation of stewardship programs. Initiated in 2018 with a commitment of $1.8 million, the program increased to ~$2.1 million in 2019.
- Development and utilization of comprehensive plans for each Pfizer antibiotic to promote proper (per guidelines) use by physicians and patients.
- World Health Organization. Antibiotic Resistance. February 2018. Available at: . Last accessed March 2020.